Monday, November 3, 2008

New Year's Resolution

I've always believed I have the gift of gab. But if it is truly a gift, I should nurture it and not let it go to waste.

1. I will think before I speak.
In the past I often let my emotions go and say whatever I want. I always justified that by saying I only mean what I say but many times I know I say things just to spite or hurt people. If to hurt someone because of what I have to say is inevitable, I will make sure it is well-meant and well-said. Word choice does matter.

2. I will stop swearing.
Sometimes I shock myself with what comes out of my mouth and how fould my words could be. I should learn new words: F stands for 'fudge', S stands for 'shoot' and just completely avoid Filipino cuss words! Sometimes creatively transitioning from Tagalog bad words to it's sound-alikes only make things worse.

3. I will learn to keep quiet when I have to.
A song worded it well: 'you say it best when you say nothing at all'. I just have to know when to keep my silence and I'm sure it'll be a more effective that prattling away.

It's November but I have some New Year's resolutions. I guess it's not to early to start. I just want to be a better person.

No comments: